Considering Emma Freedman has covered Melbourne Spring Carnival on the Nine Network for over four years, been named the new face of Rebecca Vallence for this year's Cup Carnivaland is the daughter of five-time Melbourne Cup-winning thoroughbred trainer Lee Freedman - you can safely say Emma knows her way around the fashions of the field.
The radio presenter shares the dos and don'ts of getting race-day ready, and why you should always, always wear a headpiece.
What are your favourite trends of the season?
I'm loving metallic fabrications, mid-calf hemlines and waisted silhouettes (I find them flattering on the my body!).
Best accessory to have dressing for Spring Racing and why?
Statement sunglasses and a bag that can hold all of your bits and bobs. Nothing too big or small, but a sensible-sized clutch is a great help.
Top pick from the Rebecca Vallance collection?
Bec has created the most stunning collection. My favourite pieces include the black leather Astor Off The Shoulder dress and the bright zest coloured Wilson Ra Ra Mini Dress - it's fun, young and feminine in a modern way!
What are your top 5 rules when it comes to dressing for the Spring Racing season?
1. Make sure you're not flashing too much skin, the races are about femininity so steer clear of strapless dresses and keep hemlines just above the knee or longer.
2. Keep silhouettes classic but the texture/print/colour of the pieces interesting.
3. Choose shoes that are comfortable (to a point!)
4. Minimise the use of sequins in your outfit.
5. Millinery is a must - but choose wisely. I love wearing a hat and will do so at all meetings over Melbourne Cup Carnival. Straw is the trim for spring!
Do you think a headpiece is required?
100 per cent. No question about it.
What's the biggest mistake you see women making on the field?
Too matchy-matchy or showing too much skin. Be inspired by bygone eras in terms of cut. Longer hemlines, sleeves or straps.
Favourite designers this season?
Obviously Rebecca Vallance! I am very lucky to be wearing Bec's gorgeous pieces to two days - Derby Day and Melbourne Cup.
What are you clutch essentials on the day?
Sunglasses, pen, form guide, wallet (with cash), lipstick, Carmex, translucent powder for when it gets warm, mints, phone.
What do you predict the biggest fashion trend will be this year?
Lots of white, clashing prints, metallics and midi length dresses and skirts.