In an interview with Spike on Monday, Abramović told the reporter that Jay Z "completely used me" for the filming of his 'Picasso Baby' video. Abramović had given Jay Z permission to appropriate her famous work, The Artist Is Present in return for a donation to the Marina Abramović Institute, but she claims the rapper never coughed up the dough.

"And that wasn't fair," she said. "And in the end it was only a one-way transaction. I will never do it again, that I can say. Never. I was really naive in this kind of world. It was really new to me, and I had no idea that this would happen. It's so cruel, it's incredible. I will stay away from it for sure."

Related story: What to expect from Marina Abramovic's landmark Australian visit 

Big words, but it actually turns out Abramović's accusations were embarrassingly off the mark. Jay-Z hit back immediately, claiming he had donated and even had a receipt to prove it (who knew the dude was such a proficient bookkeeper?). Sure enough, his claim checked out and the Marina Abramović Institute released a statement:

"Marina Abramović was not informed of Shawn "JAY Z" Carter's donation from two years ago when she recently did an interview with Spike Magazine in Brazil. We are sincerely sorry to both Marina Abramović and Shawn "JAY Z" Carter for this, and since then we have taken to appropriate actions to reconcile this matter."

#awkward

Related story: Embrace your dark side: the must-visit Aussie winter festival

Related stories:
Women in the arts: Dasha Zhukova 
Top ten: the insider's guide to the Vivid Sydney festival