Another big-name Sydney restaurant is calling it quits
The Buro daily
Update: The team behind Surry Hills Argentinean restaurant, Porteño has announced they will be moving into the Movida space, aiming to open in October. The venue's current location will remain, but become Porteño events, a space reserved for weddings and functions.
Earlier this week we reported on the closure of Neil Perry's Rockpool (he's turning it into a more casual eatery), French favourite Marque has also bitten the dust and now, the sad news comes that the Sydney arm of Movida is closing.
Sydneysiders have got less than four weeks to load up on Movida's jamon croquettes and grilled chorizo, but thankfully, the Melbourne, Bali and Sydney Airport versions of the award-winning tapas restaurant will remain open.
Owner Frank Camorra says he just wasn't getting enough foot traffic to make the Surry Hills site viable. "Absolutely it was a mistake," he told Good Food. "Our business model stacks up much better in the CBD. In the city you get people using the bar area before they go elsewhere. There's more of a concentration of restaurants that work off each other."
Movida's last service takes place on Wednesday June 29. For bookings, head to movida.com.au/sydney.
Buro 24/7 Selection